Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards- Unknown
Hello my dear readers, i’m back with another interesting post which will make you forget all your sorrows.
In this post, i will share about the history of Indian Desserts, its importance in our culture related to various dimensions and also the best 5 desserts you should definitely try in India.
■ INDIAN DESSERTS AND ITS BRIEF HISTORY
In India, desserts are commonly called as mithai or sweets. Sugarcane production is traced back to thousands of years, which is used to process jaggery or gur used in making majority of sweets in India alongwith sugar.
In India alongwith sugar and jaggery( used as a sweetener) various other products are used in making sweets like milk, dry fruits, gram flour, semolina, chhena(made using milk) etc.
India offers a variety of sweets to the sweet lovers. Its a place which has desserts ranging from barfi(baked), kheer(made using rice), to the most delicious of all jalebi. Sweetness in India in terms of desserts or even people and its culture is highly captivating.
■ IMPORTANCE OF DESSERTS IN INDIA.
▪ Celebrations: In India, various functions and celebrations are incomplete without desserts.
For example- marriage functions, birthday parties etc are celebrated by exchanging and relishing sweets.
▪ Festivals: Indians can never imagine festivals without sweets. India celebrates variety of festivals throughout the year and these festivals like Holi, Diwali, Raksha Bandhan etc remain incomplete without delicious sweets.
▪ Part of meal: For most Indians, desserts are an important part of meal. Most Indians don’t feel their meal to be complete without having sweets. We Indians prefer having dessert after having our meal.
■ TOP 5 MUST TRY DESSERTS IN INDIA
● GULAB JAMUN: This is one of the best sweets you can ever have. It melts as soon as you keep it in your mouth. It is so soft and succulent that you can not resist having it. It tastes best with vanilla ice-cream.
● RASGULLA: It is one of the most loved Indian desserts. It is made of cheena and semolina. Small ball shaped rasgulla is then put into sugar syrup so that it absorbs it nicely.
These are light and spongy and tastes heavenly.
● RABDI: It is a milk based Indian dessert. It complements other Indian desserts like jalebi, gulab jamun etc.
It is made by boiling milk till it becomes thick in consistency and changes its color to light yellow. It is then garnished with dry fruits and kesar(saffron) to enhance its flavour.
● BESAN LADDO: Laddo in India are of various types like besan, motichoor, dry fruits laddo etc.
However the most loved laddo is besan laddo. It is made by cooking besan(gram flour) in ghee(melted butter), sugar and dry fruits and then made into a ball shaped laddo by using hands.
You should definetly try out laddos as they are simply the best.
● JALEBI: The best of all desserts is jalebi for sure. It is the national sweet of India. You can eat jalebi at any part of India, it is available everywhere.
I personally prefer having jalebi with dahi (yogurt). It is crispy out side and filled with hot sugary syrup inside. Trust me, it tastes heavenly.
To all the dessert lovers like me, do try out jalebi it is the best you can ever have.
This was all about the best 5 Indian desserts you should try out. There are many more Indian desserts which taste amazing.
Hope you liked my post. Stay connected. ❤